Friday, March 16, 2012

Thai food

I was briefly contemplating starting a new blog today entitled ilikefriedrice.blogspot.com, purely to document my experiences eating this inexpensive and varied dish over the last several months. But I'm afraid I've missed the boat. One dollar fried rice with tofu in Siem Reap. Two dollar fried rice with vegetables and cashews, also in Siem Reap. Thai fried rice in Saigon. Flied lice everywhere you look!

Then I decided, I'll just do another blog, all about cheap food and appropriately entitled ilikecheapfood.blogspot.com. That way I don't have to always eat fried rice. I like it, but I also like variety. And too much and you get an oily tongue. I don't like that. And then I thought, fuck that, I'll just post occasional pictures of food on this blog. After all, pictures might spruce it up a bit. I know how hard it is to just read words.

So, this brings me to today and my lunch (pictured below). Fried rice with egg, tofu and vegetables. It was in a busy, inexpensive little eatery under the Pranee Building at the end of Soi Kasem San 1 across from the National Stadium. Aside from the egg and tofu, there was some kale, carrots, baby corn, tomato and cabbage along with a slice of lime and some raw sliced cucumber. All this for 35B (US$1.17) and surprisingly, I didn't need to use any of the condiments on the table.


If you don't like flies, I wouldn't recommend the place, but I'd certainly go back. Before my food arrived, the place was abuzz with both flies and customers. I counted 6 flies on the floor, 5 on the menu, 2 on the table, 3 on the plastic basket covering the condiments and 3 on the chair opposite me. And that was just my table! But maybe they liked me for another reason.

My "dinner" was consumed only three hours after my lunch. I couldn't resist after walking by a place I seem to frequent every time I'm in Bangkok. It's located on Soi Rambuttri, basically an extension of Khao San Road. Mr Yim's is actually a street stall offering vegetarian options and delicious ones at that. Today, I just ordered the same dish the lady was bringing to other customers. Fried tofu with spicy coconut sauce. It didn't disappoint.


This dish was also 35B and contained tofu, carrots, snap peas, green beans, mushrooms, cauliflower, baby corn and kale. The rice was a mixture of white and brown varieties, which I prefer. This dude knows how to cook and if you are a vegetarian, you'd love it. If you are not a vegetarian you'd still probably enjoy it, but you'd also probably say I don't think I can live without meat. As you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment