Friday, March 23, 2012

I'm going to Disneyland!


I didn't do my homework, that much is for sure. That's why I've spent the last nine days in Thailand and not in India, but oh well! I hate planning and so, I just didn't look into what I needed to do until I was ready to go there. Everyone goes there, I thought. Surely it's easy. And well, it was pretty easy, but it helps to do a little research. I could have gotten it done in Phnom Penh last month and not wasted any time, but could have, would have, should have, as they say.

I submitted my visa application six working days ago and got the hell out of Bangkok. The sanest thing I could have done. Nothing wrong with Bangkok if you're actually doing something here, but just bumming around and getting caught up in the sidewalk traffic and constantly stepping on other people's heels gets old quick. And no, I don't need to go shopping. I don't want to go to that temple and I don't want to be looking for an air-conditioned place on a relatively nonstop basis. It's hot in the hot tub.

So, I took off for Kanchanaburi. I had intentions of seeing other cities before I came back to Bangkok, but I didn't. A little ashamed about that, but I did manage to change guesthouses. At least that gave me the  impression I was getting a slightly different experience. And well, I learned to drive a motorcycle, I got to swim in the River Kwai, talk to some interesting expats and hookers and just felt like I was able to chill out for a minute. Not like I haven't had time to do that over the past few months.

Anyway, I'm back in Bangkok and getting more anxious by the minute. Today was visa pick-up day and I wasn't even 100% sure I had gotten my visa even though I had already booked my non-refundable ticket to Kolkata in two days time. I received a text and an email with the message A decision on your Visa application has been received at the India Visa Application Centre and is ready for collection. Well, great, I think, what the fuck does that mean, exactly?

I found out it means that I'm good to go! And now my passport is safely back in my hands and I'm about to leave my safety net of SE Asia. Thailand is soooooo easy. Cambodia is equally as easy and Vietnam as well. I'm ready more than I've ever been for India, but I'm still more than anxious and not entirely sure what to expect. I guess that's what makes it interesting. I have just over two months for India and Nepal before I have to get back to the states to see the family. It's been too long.

I'm not even in India, but I feel like I already have diarrhea. I can smell the feces, see the faces, hear the noise, feel my heart racing, yet I know, what I feel now ain't nothing compared to what I'm going to experience. Bring it on, I think. That's just the beer talking. I am ready, like I said, but it's way out of my comfort zone. It's good to get out of your comfort zone. It'll be alright, I'm fairly sure, it's just been a while since I've actually really tested myself.

So, I've got a couple of easy days remaining here in Bangkok before it gets even hotter, noisier, dirtier, smellier but likely more interesting, more stimulating and more appealing. I don't know about the last one. I certainly don't know Bangkok, but I've been here enough to be more than comfortable and that takes away some of the excitement., which makes it slightly dull. I think to myself, bring on the fucking food poisoning, the bed bugs, the harassment, the scams, the chaos, that is India. But I'm really not that ready. I'm a little scared to be honest, but excited. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment