Saturday, March 17, 2012

Oops, I did it again

dandy guy! you can't find this shit for $10 a pair...
I was walking around Siam Square in Bangkok last night browsing all the stuff for sale on the street. The sidewalks were jammed and it was hot. I wished I had worn shorts. I was specifically looking for some striped tank tops, for lack of anything else to buy and I wanted to find out if the boxers I had purchased on my previous visit, were indeed secondhand. I eventually found the table of individually wrapped boxers with their sizes marked S, M, L or XL. 3 for 100 baht.

Are these new or secondhand? I asked.

She paused for a second, as if to register what I had just said. Secondhand, she replied. Ahhh, thanks, I said and continued on my way, not really that surprised, but glad to know the truth behind the matter. I walked to the end of where people were selling and then turned round and walked my way back on the street dodging motorbikes, tuk tuks and pedestrians who were waiting for said modes of transportation. Eventually, I got back to the table of secondhand boxers and opened my wallet. I couldn't resist.

in the bag and ready to go...
I quickly glanced through the bounty and slowly picked ones I deemed suitable. Other customers came and were able to choose faster than me. They cast a shadow, however, over the left side of the table and this delayed my ability to choose the most desirable color combination. Get the fuck outta the way! You're shadow is intruding on my space! Eventually I found the three I wanted, they were dropped into a bag as I handed over a 100 baht note and I was on my way back to my hotel.

odyssey of xenesis...what?!

rich pig? definitely not me! 

6 comments:

  1. I see you are never coming home! I will take a huge plate of green papaya salad please! Xo. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. never coming home? cause it's so cheap or what? haha well, i'll be "home" for a visit this summer. and speaking of green papaya salads, i just had one tonight! and it was de-lish. perhaps the best i've ever had for 40 baht. i'd love to bluetooth you one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey tyler - didn't mean to offend. only reason the comment was deleted was because i don't like to think of a and i as being 'only' in a long-distance relationship. so when your very nice congratulatory message came in, my own weird neurosis kicked in and saw the 'long-distance' part and i just hit delete. nothing personal at all about it and i appreciate your kind words. sorry if there was a misunderstanding about that. -m

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey dude, had to think for a minute who this was...and now I realize what you are talking about. i'm not offended, i realize there must have been something...i understand. and btw, i didn't unfriend you, i just temporarily deactivated my account. i needed a break! i'll be back soon to post more pics and fill everyone's news feed lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, ok then, no worries :)

    (yep, i like to keep a low profile...bet it made for a fun little bit of mental sleuthing though)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha didn't take me too long. you gave me enough information to figure it out quickly although posting here was definitely a bit out of context. anyway, glad it's working out for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete