Thursday, November 1, 2012

White Russians with Mustaches and Conjunctivitis


Today was a good day despite the excess sun and the irritable eye. I got a little red thanks to the tank top and lack of sunscreen, but at least I didn’t have to wear that oily shit that makes me even hotter. Saved a few dimes as well. The eye has been a bit beefy the past couple of days. My right eye. Happened a bit over a year ago as well. Felt like my eyelid turned into a big piece of salami. Friend says it’s probably conjunctivitis whatever that is. I’ll just go with that. I bought some antibiotic eye drops and have been icing it, hope that does the trick.

Drinking my second White Russian at the moment. Can’t stop chewing up my ice. People say that’s due to sexual frustration, which I won’t argue, but add that it’s probably due to ingrained habits as well. I love a sweet buzz. I’m not a racist, but I do prefer White Russians to Black Russians. Something about the creamy texture sliding down my throat. Not that creamy texture. And I don’t really love Coke even though I do partake in it on occasion despite not drinking that shit for nearly 18 years. Honest.

Listening to Gregory Alan Isakov. Shit is good. I do need some new music though. Feeling a little behind the times and lacking the initiative to find out new, good music on my own. So send me some new tunes and make me feel up-to-date. Despite not being in tune with what’s hot in the music world, I do feel pretty good these days. I’m busy, that’s a start. Helping a friend make a movie that’s due to shoot in approximately one week. Gathering props, helping cast, location scout and art directing an important location in the film. Enough about that.

I’m getting to the gym fairly regularly. Getting to know the regular meatheads and despite all their flexing and posturing in front of the mirror, they’re not all that bad. All four of us in the gym this morning were doing biceps in front of the mirror at the same time. I was the only shirtless one, but all of us plenty vain nonetheless. I was jealous of their abs and I like to pretend they were jealous of my height and teeth. What else do I have? I don’t really give a shit.

That second White Russian is hitting me pretty hard. I don’t need another, but I don’t like to waste anything and I still have some ice. It cost me all of twelve cents for half a kilo and I don’t want it to just go down the drain. So off I go to make cup number three. Eliminates the need for dessert I’ll tell you what. And after a fantastic dinner I hardly needed to attend to the needs of my sweet tooth. Some Vietnamese sour soup with fish, mango salad and morning glory washed down with some cheap draft Cambodian lager. It was delish.

What else is going on…hmmm…let me think. I found a tailor, that is indeed worth noting. She sells used clothing and also adjusts t-shirts. Fifty cents a pop, which is equivalent to what I paid the woman in my alley in Vietnam. Fantastic. So now, all of my t-shirts fit to a tee. Pardon the pun. And the guy across the street from her, who does button-ups, made my shirts fit perfectly for just a dollar. Even though he fucked up the first time, somehow he redeemed himself and adjusted them just right. Even Goldilocks would have been satisfied. So now I can comfortably buy oversized crap from Phnom Penh and feel confident these folks will make me look decent with the skills I wish I had.

Now I’m on White Russian number three. Totally unnecessary. You should see the ants on my counter. I guess I spilled a drop of Kahlua. Fucked ‘em up with a few blasts of Raid. I hate using that shit, but I hate ants even more. Especially red ants. Those bastards bite like mother fuckers and the pain subsists longer than you’d imagine. No problem killing those little fuckers. Them and mosquitos. I used to feel semi-Buddhist, but now, I can’t cohabitate. Got my mosquito zapper that poses as a tennis racket. Totally fools those ignorant bastards. Makes ‘em think I’m just going to practice my back swing when in fact I’m fucking the shit outta them.

It really does make my place an easier place to live. Waking up with fewer mosquito bites. That’s huge. If only I had a fridge and a motorcycle. I’d be near heaven. I’m looking out for some cheap, secondhand options. Recently, I stayed in a guesthouse to see if I wanted to change my locations. It was nice for a minute to have a tv, wifi, bathtub and hot shower, but being on the second floor and that much hotter, I couldn’t stand it. I would have needed an air conditioner to survive, which would have nearly quadrupled my accommodation costs so I quickly negated that option. This shithole isn’t that bad after all. I just like to complain.

Life is not bad at all. I get to see the cutest orphans nearly every day. I’m riding my bike too much. Is that really that bad? I’m getting to know people, expats, ladyboys, prostitutes, street kids, anyone and everyone and nobody is really that bad except when I’m in one my moods when everyone is annoying. I often complain about the sun’s presence, but it sure is better than having her disappear and not know when she will return. That is harder to bear. I like the warmth she provides.

I forgot I put mustaches in the title of this blog post. Yes, I am on day 15 of my current mustache. It is fairly embarrassing, but fortunately Khmer women find any white male attractive despite the facial hair, obesity, age or nerd factor. As long as you appear to have money it’s all good. Every day I’m a day closer to shaving, but I want to see how far I can go. I’m pretty sure this is a record. I’m also pretty sure some people don’t even recognize that I’m sporting a mustache. But that’s ok.

See? You can barely see it!

It’s almost time for bed. My eyes are closing. The vodka and Kahlua are having an effect. I’m surprised I’m still here after nearly three rounds. I’m normally a lightweight and would expect to be knocked out at this point. Soon, soon. My bed is beckoning that is for sure. A soft pillow awaits, I just wanted to get this out. The screen is fading in front of me, which suggests that I ought to be typing my final words, but I keep going. Unfortunately, but fortunately for you, I have nothing else to say. Thanks for reading and hope you will be here with me next time. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment