Friday, January 20, 2012

Where am I now?

Thanks for asking. I'm in Malaysia, truly Asia. Or at least that's their little catch phrase. I think they forgot to tell us something. Malaysia, truly (the most boring country in all of southeast) Asia. But the marketing folks didn't like that all. I'm only speaking from my experience in peninsular Malaysia - I'm sure Borneo would be amazing as would the Perhentian Islands if they weren't closed for the season. Closed for the season? What!?

Oh, it's not that bad. I like to exaggerate, but it is a very tame place compared to the rest of this region. And tame often means boring, at least in my book. Developed countries are nice places to live, I think, but they make me yawn. Don't get me wrong, I'm awfully glad I'm from one and have the opportunity to get out and explore the developing ones - the ones that really make me tick.

So, Malaysia. Yeah, exciting stuff. Kuala Lumpur was actually much better the third time around. Get me outta Chinatown! I think that was the key. I stayed in Bukit Bintang this time and upgrading to nicer digs also helped my situation. Everything is quite modern, the public transport is borderline amazing and the food is good. A great mix of cuisines ranging from Western shit that makes you fat, very cheap and delicious Indian or Pakistani and Chinese, Malay or Thai. At least that's what I saw.

In general though, Malaysia is not cheap. That's the price of progress I guess. I really don't want to drink if it's $5 for a pint of cheap beer. And it's not much cheaper in the convenience store either. $3? Damn, it's cheaper, a lot cheaper in the states. So, well I can teetotal for a while. 6 nights already, what's a few more? Besides, it's nice to know that I can. I must say though, that a beer does sound good.

Anyway, moving right along. I am now in Kuantan, a city on the western coast of Malaysia. Some might argue with my geography skills, but I'm sticking to 'em and will post a map as if anyone actually cared. Last night I stayed in the CityLite Hotel, which was located in the red light district. Not many red lights, but there were plenty of ladyboys lurking in the shadows. I stuck to the well lit streets, popped an Imodium before I went out, clenched my cheeks and hoped for the best.

Kuantan, you see it over there? On the right, silly.

There was too much noise in that hotel, mostly from inconsiderate folks jabbering away and slamming doors at 2am. You'd think people would get it, but I've come to the realization that nobody gives a fuck. But even I am occasionally unconsciously inconsiderate of others. Inconsideration happens. But unfortunately happens more often than it needs to. There were also probably a million birds making their nest somewhere in the back of the hotel and the noise was appalling.

Thus, I am writing now from a different hotel, a few doors down near the 7/11 in case you need to find me. I'm in room B12 facing the main street, which is equally loud from the cars whizzing by, but I have a rattly old air-conditioner that I'm hoping will drown out some of the noise. That and a toilet that is constantly filling its tank and creating even more white noise. I wonder what will cause me the most irritation tonight. Or if the cotton in my ears will suffice.

Well, it's time to set you free and LOL at you if you are still reading. It's time for some local cuisine, some coffee, some sitting and watching, some shoe shopping, some walking and figuring out tomorrow. Thailand beckons! See you soon. Not YOU...Thailand.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to get to a beach on Thailand and listen to the waves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds greeeeeeat, however no rush. I am where I am by choice after all. Just soaking up the Malaysian scene while the sun is still shining. A little dull that's all, but at least I'm not just surrounded by orang putih!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree about Malaysia. Borneo isn't much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAWWWWWWWWWWWWN! but really about Borneo? Kinabalu sounded nice although ridiculous to get a permit. Fuck that. And some other outdoorsy stuff sounded nice, but whatever. Thanks anyway Malay!

    ReplyDelete