Sunday, January 8, 2012

Finally getting some exercise


I exercised for the first time today in six weeks! Unless you count snorkeling or walking or hiking or casually riding a bicycle or swimming a lap underwater or learning to surf or dancing in a club. I’m not one of those people. That shit is good for you, but it ain’t exercise. Like those people who take the stairs instead of the elevator and say they started a new exercise regimen. Or who go on a walk with ankle weights. Keep dreaming.

Anyway, I knew I brought my running shoes for a reason. And today I realized why. Actually it was yesterday. I saw a few dudes going for a late evening run while I was watching this sunset that never fully materialized and I thought why didn’t I think of that? I’m on a small island with a sandy trail that goes around the entire circumference. I have beautiful views all around me and the only noise coming from crashing waves the majority of the time. Although I have to admit I used my iPod. I needed some music and didn’t really want to hear how hard I was breathing.

And now, to be honest, I probably won’t exercise again for another six weeks. Those 45 minutes spread out over time equate to about a minute of strenuous activity a day. Nice! And I only use the word strenuous for lack of a better word. But having said that, I will have some more beach time in the upcoming days and plenty of opportunities to jog on the beach. I presume. Haven’t seen the beach yet. Looking for excuses already.

And now it’s time to eat again. Not much else to do on a long holiday. Wake up when I wake up. Eat. Go for a walk. Read. Sit in the hammock. Study some Indonesian. Eat. Drink. Shower. Swim. Converse. Go online. Update my facebook status. Blog. Take pictures. Look at the scenery. Judge people. Think about tomorrow. Refocus and try not to think. Enjoy the moment. Eat. Converse. Drink. Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment