Saturday, April 14, 2012

I found happiness

No need to worry! I'm happy to report, as you might imagine, that I have found happiness. I was inspecting myself in the mirror this morning, noticing the increasingly softer flesh in my midsection when I noticed this mole next to my left breast. I pushed it and like a button changing night into day, my mood shifted. I can't even begin to describe it to you. All I can say is that it's amazing the difference a little happiness makes in your life. I had always heard that happiness comes from within, but I beg to differ. Sometimes, apparently it's on the outside. Staring right at you like a third eyeball.

Ok, to be completely serious - and being serious is not an easy task - I have indeed found happiness. It's not the prolonged kind we all strive for, but temporary happiness will do. It comes in many forms and here is just a sampling of what makes me tick, what gets me going, what makes me feel warm & fuzzy, what turns that frown upside down, what presses the right buttons. Ok, here goes.

I found happiness...

... in a tube of pain relief gel.
... getting off the bus yesterday.
... in clean sheets, a comfortable mattress and perfect pillows.
... in finally taking a solid shit this morning.
... in a hilarious email from a friend.

... in a chocolate croissant.
... smelling the flowers on my table.
... in a simple hello from a stranger.
... taking a hot shower on a cold day.
... and it was fleeting.

... hearing some new music on my way past a shop this morning.
... seeing some birds flying overhead.
... making a witty comment on your Facebook status update.
... upon the application of some lip balm.
... in the bakery display case.

Of course, we all know, these brief little encounters with happiness are not sustainable. You can't keep eating that chocolate croissant forever. You can try, but there will be a saturation point. And likewise, you can't inhale the scent from the flower indefinitely. At some point, the fragrance disappears or the flower eventually dies and smells accordingly.

We all know life has its ups and downs. That happiness comes and goes. There are some that claim to have truly the answer. Good for them. For most of us mere mortals, we take the good with the bad knowing that without the bad we can't have the good. How can we know happiness if we never experience sadness? We've all heard those famous phrases. Happiness is a state of mind. Happiness comes from within. Happiness is loving what you do. I say, it's just a word. Embrace the little things. Perhaps if you notice enough of the small things you'll be happier in the bigger picture.

Now you might be saying, who is this guy to tell me how to achieve happiness? The fucking king of negativity is giving advice on positivity? Yes, indeed. I'm just trying to find a way myself and sharing the path. Sharing is caring and also leads to a greater feeling of happiness. I think I'm going to go camping so I can be a happy camper. Or better idea, go fishing so I can be a happy fisherman. Don't buy the t-shirt. More likely, I'm going to go get another chocolate croissant.

2 comments: