Friday, April 6, 2012

Butwal, Nepal

I was supposed to wake up this morning in Kathmandu and take a taxi to the Kopan Monastery out in the valley where I was to begin a 10-day meditation course. I was excited to finally be doing this as I've been talking about it for some time, but perhaps too afraid to actually do it. I still don't know if I am capable of doing it without breaking down in the process. However, as my bus crashed on the way to Kathmandu yesterday morning it seems as if it just wasn't meant to be. This is the third time I've tried and failed to attend a meditation course. There will be more opportunities.

Instead, here I am in Butwal, in southern Nepal. There is actually a Wiki page for Butwal! Wow. I'm growing fond of this place Pronouced boot vahl and not butt wall this is probably why I couldn't understand anyone when I asked them where I was. If the time is 10pm in Vietnam, it is 8:30pm in India and 8:45pm in Nepal. Did you know that? Time zones are interesting.

Advertisement for Krazy Cheese Balls. Go Get the Balls... 

I have walked around a little. Near the government hospital down the road, there are many vendors selling either grapes, pomegranates, oranges, slices of coconut, slices of salted cucumber, watermelon  or bags of peanuts. The road near the hospital leads up into the town and splits in two. There are mountains around although I don't think we're at a very high elevation. There are many shops selling snacks, electronics, clothing, shoes or backpacks. It's a decent place.


Lot of rickshaws in Butwal.

The air seems a bit polluted, but it might be dust. There was a big dust storm yesterday that preceded the rain. In general, the vibe here is good. People have been friendly. I say hi and I get a hi back. I smile, they smile most of the time. It's nice. Although I've been alone I haven't felt lonely because it's easy to talk to the people, especially this guy and his sisters at their little tea shop near the hotel. A former cook who worked in Dubai, he has whipped up some delicious aloo paratha and aloo gobi masala. And the chai goes well with the conversation.


Watch out for cows.

Butwal actually reminds me of some of my favorite places, which are typically smaller cities more in touch with nature. Usually near mountains and have various hill tribes or ethnic minorities living in them. I don't know why, but I just feel good in these places, my heart feels ahhhhhhh. Sapa in northern Vietnam is one of those places. Driving through the mountains in northern Laos, I get the same sensation. And in a small village near Inle Lake in Myanmar, I also had this feeling. I could live here. And then, but what the fuck would I do? And I move on...

The main road going up the right side of town.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Perhaps you should go live and teach in Da Lat. Could be the perfect combination of things to do and country beauty with fresh air.

    Speaking of SaPa, Quynh & I are off to see it (for me, again) at the end of May. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh did you say teach? that blew it for me lol. da lat is nice, but i don't love it. nice and cool in the evenings, but something is missing. i haven't been there in a long time. nor have i been to sapa. miss it. do i have time to fit it in too?? ;) have fun! oh, who's quynh? new lady friend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you don't know about Quynh? She's the true love of my life. We've been dating for 10 months & it's going amazingly well. We're both very happy. Photos are on Flickr. More details, if wanted, are via email. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nah man, didn't know about Quynh. good to hear, man. i'll take a peek at flickr. when's the ceremony?

    ReplyDelete