Friday, March 29, 2013

No More Mr. Nice Guy

If you came here looking for Alice Cooper, you are in the wrong place. Let me redirect you here. You're welcome.

This post is about trying to do the right thing, but having things get turned around which make you look like a dick.  Receiving a negative response to your good intentions, which only makes you question having such intentions the next time. Makes you rethink your niceness. Trying to be Mr. Nie Guy, but not getting recognition for doing so. In case you are still not sure what I'm getting it, let me give you a few examples.

You see a traffic accident. One motorbike hits another and the person goes down. The guilty party drives away as if nothing happened. Being a human being, you are naturally concerned and stop to see if the person is ok. Soon others arrive and begin pointing at you for causing the accident. What?! Being in a foreign country and with limited ability to speak the local language to help defuse the situation, you quickly remount your motorbike and skedaddle on out of there. Fuck that bullshit.

This next example also presumes you are in a foreign country and can speak little of the local language.

The cashier gives you your change, a bit too much by the looks of it. Instead of scampering out of there congratulating yourself for this little victory over the big guys you realize that reality suggests otherwise. It's a mini-mart after all, probably locally owned and the girl behind the counter will likely get blamed for the mistake. So you proceed to "tell" her that she gave you too much, but she thinks you think you were shortchanged and this prolonged interaction makes everyone waiting in line think you are an asshole.

Ok, back to my most recent story and last example.

I was checking out of my guesthouse a couple weeks ago and the guy was tallying my bill. Two nights at $10 a night, a Greek salad for $3 and breakfast for $3, which should have been $26. His total was $23. Considering they would be storing my bags for the next ten days and the fact I believe in karma, I told him that he had forgotten my breakfast. I gave him a fifty and he gave me $23 change. 50 minus 23 equals 27. Wait...now you are trying to overcharge me?? I'm trying to honest not generous.

So, I tell him I had the build-your-own-breakfast, but he corrects me and says that I had the breakfast special. Getting slightly irritated now, I grab the menu and show him what I had. There it is, three dollars. Build-your-own-breakfast. He shakes his head. Did you see bacon or sausage on my plate? He reluctantly hands back a dollar. Fuck you, penis wrinkle. I'm not playing this game. Enough of this nonsense. Trying to do good, but feeling bad. Next time, I'll quietly thank them for their miscalculation and spend or give the surplus to people I feel who deserve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment