Sunday, January 6, 2013

The procrastinating Cookie Monster

The guy next to me sounds like the fight fixer in the Snatch. Kind of resembles him too although slightly less scary looking. But the voice alone is enough to turn heads. The woman across from me looks like the kidnapped Vietnamese child turned forced underaged prostitute in the film Holly. Weird how everyone starts to resemble someone if you watch enough movies. And lately, I've been watching a lot of them. Catching up I guess you could say. I call it procrastinating.

In the past week or so alone, I think I've watched fourteen movies. Some days just one and other days three. One in the morning prior to hitting the cafe, one in the late afternoon and one after dinner before bed. It's called killing time. I'm pretty good at that these days. That doesn't include the thirty something movies I've downloaded since I've been in Cambodia and other stack of borrowed dvds last month. Some recent titles include The Descendants, Liberal Arts, Moonrise Kingdom, The Dictator, Careless Love, Old Boy, Attack the Block, Albatross, Perfect Sense, Ruby Sparks, My Week with Marilyn, In the Land of Blood and Honey, Audition and Holly.

Now what to do? I've finished checking my junk mail, perusing Facebook and eating my snacks. This is boring. I should be thinking about what is next, the upcoming chapter, but I can't. I'm so lazy, unmotivated, unambitious and in general, so blah that I can barely move. Aside from getting up, sitting down, biking over here, biking over there and sitting in front of my laptop. I'm still waiting for that lightning bolt of inspiration to tell me what to do. In the meantime, I'm making a die to roll with destinations instead of numbers. Hanoi, Saigon, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Bangkok or return home? And if I land on the latter I'll do a best of five rolls...

My eye is a bit swollen. Perhaps another case of conjunctivitis? Hooray! Good thing I just touched it, hopefully spread it around a bit. Ok, no more complaining. I just got three new old t-shirts. The best kind, really. One had to be tailored for 75 cents, a slight price jump from the standard 50 cents. I was appalled originally, but surrendered without an argument because I was feeling weak. And well, he did a good job so I might return again in the future. I love finding cool secondhand clothes that fit, but if they don't, I love being able to make them fit for nearly nothing.

I'm just rambling now. I think the Bible group has returned. It's nearly time for me to make my exodus to the lower level. And then go get some lunch. I think tofu lok lak is on the menu today. However, the wait is typically atrocious even when I'm the only customer. Last time, I walked out on them. You take the order and you place the order. You don't go out on the street bullshitting with other customers trying to keep everyone happy and wanting to come back again. At some point, you have to keep your eyes on what is in front of you. Oh wait, I'm complaining again. I really have to work on that.

Time is ticking and another day is half over. I need to start ticking. I need a jumpstart or a shock from a defibrillator. Or maybe just a solid push from behind. Or a slap to the face. Maybe the pharmacy has what I need. Do you have any pills that give you drive? That inspire? That make you creative? That give you passion? That make you love? That illuminate the darkness? That make you want to be someone? To do something? No? Hmmm. Ok, thanks anyway. I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll find it in the tofu lok lak. It might be just around the corner. Just have to stop closing my eyes and turning off my brain. The never-ending story continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment