Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back in Bangkok

What? Here I am at Coffee World in Siam Paragon in Bangkok. Again. The fourth time I've been in Bangkok this year. It is getting more and more familiar with every visit. The mall is slowly waking up around me and still isn't very busy for nearly noon on a Tuesday. It feels like the last two months in America have been a blur. Was I really just there? Amazing.

The coffee is better in America, I'll tell you what. And it's cheaper. But hey, it's one of the few things besides electronics that is actually more expensive over here. I can handle that. My toothbrush, razor and shampoo were on par with prices I'd actually expect in SE Asia. Can't find those in Walgreens at those prices. Anyway, they probably make versions for the SE Asian market that they wouldn't even sell on the Western market. And well, if so, that's fine by me.

My voyage back over the Pacific went relatively smooth. I hate saying goodbyes and so suffice it to say, that was the most difficult part of the journey. I arrived at SFO with plenty of time to spare and was able to relax a bit prior to boarding my United flight to Tokyo Narita airport. United was actually pretty decent. I was impressed. A lot of legroom, great entertainment options and decent food for an airline. The lavatory was big enough for a mile high orgy if one was so inclined. Usually they're so cramped it would be a difficult endeavor to even attempt to join the mile high club. I did look around, but it didn't seem that anyone else was interested. Instead, I attempted a few crosswords, listened to a lot of music, watched the movie Think Like A Man and tried to sleep as much as possible.

We arrived in Tokyo around 4:30pm local time after nearly 11 hours in the air. Breezed through security, had enough time to post an update on Facebook, brush my teeth and stretch my legs prior to boarding the last leg of the journey to Bangkok. Departure time was 5:50pm and the ensuing six hour flight to Bangkok was less pleasurable than the first, but still bearable. It seems the ANA flight was on an older Boeing and the legroom was more suitable for the standard Japanese passenger. Fortunately, it was a shorter flight and I was able to sleep a little, listen to more music and watch another relatively unmemorable movie.

We touched down at Suvarnabhumi Airport at 10:30pm and I hustled to Immigration. As I arrived, an airport employee opened the lane ropes to a whole new bevy of Immigration Officials just waiting to stamp passports. It's a rare and pleasant experience to breeze through immigration, especially in Bangkok. I did have a short wait at the baggage carousel, but that wait caused me to scan signs and I found the Airport Rail Link ran until midnight, which gave me sufficient time to get to my hotel without having to take a taxi. I got my pack, boarded the train, changed lines at Phaya Thai and changed again at Siam Square catching the last train of the evening at 11:58pm to my stop at National Stadium - the end of the line for me and for the train.

I was worried that somehow my reservation might have been erroneously taken, but after a quick pit stop at 7/11 for some water, I rounded the bend on Soi Kasem San 1, mentally crossing my fingers, found the gate to the Pranee Building still unlocked and a woman still awake at her desk upon my arrival at the cheapest accommodation available in this neck of the woods. I was scribbled into her book and proceeded to show her my passport, pay the 350 baht and take the keys. My knees ached as I headed up the stairs. It was just after midnight and I was happy to have made it "home" with so few, if any obstacles in my path.

As I came to the second landing, things began to look familiar. I had only stayed at the Pranee once before, in June of this year, prior to departing for the states. I had caught the first train of that morning to the airport. And here on this day in August, my return, I caught the last train of the night. I checked my key, room 34 and thought it might have been the same room I had been in previously. I opened the door and sure enough, my old flip flops were there on the rack outside the bathroom. I had asked the owner if I could trade flip flops as his fake Havaianas were a better fit, if not more worn than my undersized Hippos, that I had recently purchased in Nepal. He had surprisingly obliged.


Everything else was the same too, from the blue towels to the faded blue floral sheets. I avoided the dusty wardrobe, setting my pack to the side and unpacking only the necessities. I locked the door, chain included, took a shower, brushed my teeth, inserted my waxy earplugs, flipped off the lights and pulled up the towel-resembling-a-bed-sheet and slept relatively soundly until eight in the morning. And here I am. Back in Bangkok. Now what?

2 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation I have another 10.5 hours at work today and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing either. Keep the posts coming... they make my life seem more international!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr. Muddison. Who is this? Ian? Anyway, there is a balance, which I have yet to achieve in regards to work/play. Waaaaay too much free time on my hands and not enough going into the bank account!

    ReplyDelete