Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cambodia: the kingdom of "I wonder..."


Cambodia, the Kingdom of Wonder. This has been Cambodia's tourism slogan since 2008. As far as I can tell anyway. I've done enough googling that my head hurts. The inspiration for which was obviously the awe-inspiringone and only Angkor Wat. It does make you stop and think though. Is that exactly what they were talking about? Wonder as in awe? amazement? wonderful? wow? astonishment? an inspirational moment? You see the temples for the first time, perhaps at sunrise and are instantly struck by their beauty. It certainly is a wonder. Which slowly begins to dissolve as a Disneyland type atmosphere eventually prevails as busload after busload of tourists arrive making this marvel seem slightly less marvelous.

Or does the slogan make you wonder? Do you wonder how the temples were built? Or do you wonder how Cambodia went from those glory days to the present day? I'm not going to get into that. You can read all about Cambodia's history and in particular, the "Dark ages of Cambodia" here. There is plenty to wonder about any place you go, not just Cambodia. I'm no expert, but this is what I wonder.


I wonder if he's just asking for directions.

I wonder if this was the man of her dreams.

 I wonder if he plays with a short or long stick.

I wonder if this "gasoline" will get me home.

I wonder if she has testicles.
[It's not advisable to google "ladyboy" and click on images]

I wonder if those are real.

I wonder what's really in this beer.

I wonder how much he paid for that.

I wonder if she really thinks I'm a handsome man.

I wonder how many more years this guy will run the country.
[since 1979]

I wonder why there are so many nice cars like this...

...while there are so many beggars...

...and homeless children everywhere you look.

I wonder if they paid the licensing fee.

Ok, that's enough wondering for today. Now I just wonder what else to do today. I wonder if someone will steal my laptop when I go to the bathroom. I wonder what I'll eat for lunch. I wonder how much sugar was in my coffee. I wonder if the beans were fairly traded. I wonder wonder who, who wrote the book of love?

Source of all pictures: the Internet
If you are one of the men in the pictures, blame Google. I googled "sexpat" and there you were. 
Stop wondering how I got your picture.

4 comments:

  1. Indeed the Kingdom of wonder, great article Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you will do more of this. It is an excellent collection of observations and questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks LJ, more of what exactly? a sequel to this post? I'll try to oblige you...

      Delete