Saturday, June 15, 2013

Michael Jackson, Gandhi and changing the world

Just finished watching Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror, a video that popped up in my Facebook news feed with the accompanying text:

"I dare you to watch this and NOT grow your soul, your humanity...."

I chose to try and grow my soul. I don't recall ever seeing the video before. Maybe bits and pieces of it as I looked up from assembling my baseball card collection or side glances at the TV as I kept watch for rogue attacks from my brother. I think affects me more now at age 37 then it would have at age 12 when it was released in 1988. Even if I just went back to the fridge to eat something else when my stomach is already full after watching it. Nineteen eighty eight! Holy shit.

Anyway, it's a pretty good video and you should watch it (again) too. You know you want to be one of the nearly 20 million people who've watched this particular Youtube upload. Aside from the starving faces, which I ashamedly watched while stuffing my own, the other most memorable parts of the five minute video came at 2:26 when a protester hits his target with a rock and at 2:32 when a one legged man with an AK-47 fires while hopping backwards. Wow. Pretty incredible collection of images.



"If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself then make a change."

I had just gotten home from Tous Les Jours, a crap chain bakery that is on the way home from the coffee shop. I went there out of convenience and generally find the prices to be passable, but the service way over the top, which tends to drive me out before I've even walked in. Anyway, they all screamed Welcome to Tous Les Jours or whatever it is they say, I cringed and walked around looking for a small baguette so I could make a sandwich when I got home. The guy at the door tries to throw a tray and tongs in my face, but I decline because - for one item - it is unnecessary.

He proceeds to follow me around and stand over my shoulder as I peruse my options, a plain baguette or one laced with walnuts. I glance around to see what else they have on offer and he's naturally in my way. Obscuring my view of the sign, I brush him aside and slowly start getting annoyed because he still seemingly thinks he is being helpful. I ask him if I can help him. He doesn't understand, which further clarifies to me why he shouldn't be there if he can't help me in the first place. I hate when people are humping your leg or invading your personal space. There is no personal space in this part of the world. You just have to accept it or as I tend to do, avoid the people that invade mine, which means hanging out alone often and barking at people when they get too close. 


I spotted another possible baguette alternative, a kind of half-moon shaped bread called white cream cheese something or other. I didn't necessarily want any cheese just something that was different. A change from the standard sandwich I had grown accustomed to making. Besides, their walnut baguette, as good as it is, was often laced with more peanuts than walnuts. I like peanuts, but not when I'm paying for walnuts. So I ask the guy, because naturally he's right there, if this thing has cream cheese inside. I don't want to get home, slice it open and find it's laden with that sickly shit. He eventually understands and says "no" so I grab it with my bare hands and place it on an empty tray at the counter.

The sign said 99 cents. And it looked like it had some fried cheese on the outside. I obey the sign. I have no idea if the fucking thing is a cream cheese whatchamacallit. She says that's one dollar twenty five. I'd only just barely perceived its value at a dollar and that was questionable so I hesitated. If that's the case I'd rather have the peanut bread. I tell her about the sign and she and three other staff proceed to tell me that they don't have that bread. Well, change the sign. I know how it goes, I just enjoy being a dick sometimes. So, in the end, I say I don't want it even after touching it with my bare hands. They oblige and hand me a walnut baguette (thankfully with a gloved hand because you never know where those fingers have been) and pleasantly usher me through the transaction and out the door. 

And so, I probably caused these poor folks a few minutes of distress as I come into their store in their country speaking a foreign language that they should know gaddamnit! I'm joking. I spoke pretty slow and I didn't get too agitated, only when the Mr I'll-suck-your-dick-for-a-dollar guy was stepping on my heels. I even learned why I should use a tray and tongs - in the event the sign is wrong. Well, I hope I didn't have dirty fingers cause the un-purchased bread probably made it back onto the shelf. As it does. Just remember as Michael Jackson said, if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself then make a change. I'm mainly talking to myself here.

Clearly Michael had a conversation with Gandhi before he wrote those lyrics. But wait, Gandhi died in 1948. How is that possible? Well, I'm sure that bumper sticker existed back in 1988. Be the change you wish you see in the world. It's good advice, but apparently Gandhi didn't even say that. Not in those words. However, it seems appropriate to associate it with him even if it's not the case. Whatever. Be the change, embody the change. Don't just click 'like' on a picture or a status when you identify with a particular message. Take it a step further if you can. Signing an online petition is a good first step, but it's a baby step. It took five seconds, don't fool yourself. Time for me to stop preaching and start practicing.


No comments:

Post a Comment