Saturday, June 2, 2012

Life is good from this internet cafe

Chilling in a Bangkok cafe. I don't want to go anywhere. Life is good in an overstuffed reclining chair staring at an enormous flat screen with a super speedy internet connection. And it's only 10 baht (USD$0.33) an hour. Your pictures on Facebook look amazing. On my little netbook, everything looks like shit. I'm upgrading to a Macbook soon, but first I have to find the money. Can I come to your house and put my hands down the back of your sofa? I don't mind the hair, fluff and dust under my fingernails as long as I find a quarter. My iced coffee is gone, the fruit guy wasn't on the corner this morning and I have to check out of my hotel soon, but I can't complain.

Six months on the road and I am done. Like a cheap piece of Wonder Bread in a toaster set on high. Soon to burn to a crisp under the overwhelming heat. Like a kid who has finished his homework and now he can finally watch the tv. Weird analogy, comparing traveling to homework, but sometimes it is hard. Suffice it to say that I don't like traveling as much as you might think. Or maybe you figured that out from reading my blog. I like it and I don't, depends on the day. Depends on the country. I seem to have had an allergic reaction to India and the rash seemed to lessen in severity with each meter rise in elevation. And now that I'm back in Thailand, it has all but disappeared.

I hardly have to think anymore. I'm still an antisocial bastard, but at least I'm surrounded by people who are a little more prone to smiling. That makes me smile more. And the noise levels have been significantly reduced. My ears are ever so appreciative. And I'm surrounded by food that isn't likely to give me diarrhea. That's always nice. My intestines are overjoyed. And I see a lot of women that have the same effect as coffee - they wake me up. Not everyone, I'm not a simple man, I don't just rise and fall when any old woman walks by. At least now, I feel alive again. My batteries seem to have been recharged.

I have two more days in Bangkok. To rejuvenate. To do absolutely nothing. To work on my abs and my biceps. They haven't seen much attention lately. To do my laundry. I think nearly everything in my bag is dirty. Except for one more pair of underwear, a pair of slacks and a dress shirt. Why have I carried those with me all this time? Over the noise in this internet cafe, I can hear 'If you're going to San Francisco....be sure to wear some flowers in your hair'...set to a techno beat, which is fucking weird cause I am going to San Francisco in two days and because I was planning to wear some flowers in my hair. This coffee is fucking with my mind.

So, I will enjoy these last couple days taking in the Southeast Asian heat. I missed you. Taking in all the sense pleasures I appreciate more after a couple of months on the lam. The sights, sounds, smells, tastes and if I'm lucky, the feelings. The hum of the big city, the smell of the food, pretty flowers, pretty girls, fresh fruit! Ok, I'll stop with this nonsense. All I'm saying is that it feels good to be back. You got that. I must say I'm looking forward to going back to the states as well. Feel like Eddie Murphy over here, only I'm not that rich or that funny. To my friends and family over there, see you soon. And to my friends over here, hope to see you some time soon as well. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment