Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Old story: bowling in Laos

I wrote this story about ten months ago, but failed to finish it. Didn't seem worthy of my time at the time. As I'm feeling relatively uninspired at the moment and looking for something to do, I thought I'd post it, unfinished. Enjoy...

It all began with a casual nod of acknowledgment from across the bowling alley. It was approximately 3am and the crowd of mostly young white backpackers had begun to slowly disperse. We were in Laos, specifically in Luang Prabang. One of the guys raised a glass to which I shrugged and raised an empty. Seeing that, he waved me over. I accepted although I was happily lubricated and needed no additional fuel to keep the fire burning. My group had scattered anyway and I was practically twiddling my thumbs or would have been had I not been consuming cheap, mind-numbing Lao whiskey.

The bearded friend now appeared to be getting intimate with the girl we had previously determined to be rather repulsive. The dreaded friend was off gallivanting with the gal he had been banging a month before in Cambodia as they had just reunited only hours before after nearly a month hiatus. The other curly, long-haired fellow was off chatting with somebody, making new friends as he so often did. And I had unknowingly been left alone as the alcohol began to settle and I failed to perceive the emptying chairs around me. I’m that interesting.

It turns out the table of Lao dudes I was now getting acquainted with had no desire for female companionship. That explained why they were so friendly. At least they weren't backpackers. I’d had enough of those conversations for the evening. Where are you from? How long are you traveling for? Where are you going next? Dude, we’re in Laos!! So, conversing with someone of a different culture and sexual identity was a refreshing change. No testosterone being thrown around and no one-upping the next guy with a superior traveling tale. Not that I remember any of the conversation. Actually I only recollect throwing back a couple glasses of Beerlao.

In any case, it got late and people were leaving. Put, this fit Lao dude with a slightly acne-riddled face offered to drive me home. Oh, no thanks, I replied. I’ll just get a tuk-tuk with my friends. I glanced around to see only the bearded one who was still intently conversing with the one with whom he’d end up watching the sunrise. So I changed my mind and agreed to the ride in part to save the fifty cents and in part because I figured I could take him in the event he tried to sodomize me without my consent.

We ended up driving down what seemed to be every street in the neighborhood of my guesthouse, but we couldn’t find it. We had just arrived that evening in the dark, checked-in hastily and quickly departed to enjoy the few hours that remained to help forget the long, leg-cramping bus rides we had endured since earlier that morning and to celebrate the bearded one’s birthday.  It also didn’t help that I had relinquished the business card to a friend who needed the name of the GH earlier in the evening. I knew it began with an S, but they all seemed to and none of them looked the same. I knew it was in there somewhere, south of the temple on the hill and near the Pousi Hotel, but it wasn’t.

Put was patient yet persistent in inviting me to come with him and have another drink. I repeatedly declined. There was no incentive. I need to have some kind of motivation to drink when I’m tired and a guy with a rectum sweating at the thought of intercourse didn’t do it for me. I would have been quite fine just getting out and wandering around til I found the place, but he wouldn’t have that. Instead, he offered a place to sleep at his bar, not his bed fortunately, and that sounded ok to me. Ok.

It was a little weird, but considering the circumstances, acceptable. So I accepted the offer after clarifying my own sexuality and otherwise saying that I wasn’t looking for an anal massage that evening. He did persist as any guy does after a woman says no. With one hand on the steering wheel and one on my thigh he drove to his place. I didn’t immediately push off his hand to allow him some time to grieve about this missed opportunity. That is, until his hand started to creep under my shorts and further down my thigh. Then with no further hesitation, I clamped down and removed his hand from the premises. I had to remind him again of my sexual preference, as if he had forgotten and ask questions about Lao girls, about which I really wasn’t wondering. Good for him for trying, he’s a man, that’s what we all do well – gay or straight. Sometime that persistence will pay off, but not tonight.

I didn't really see where this story was headed so I lost interest in wrapping it up. Suffice it to say, I woke up, rectum intact, and decided to get home as quickly as possible. In order to do that, I had to find my new friend. I went upstairs, knocked on his door and an older, overweight white dude opened the door. Umm, good morning. Turns out it was his ex-boyfriend and partner in the bar business. Ok, I'm ready to go home now!

No comments:

Post a Comment