Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Bali - first impression

I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MUCH BETTER I AM FEELING. Jesus! And I say that in the most non-religious way possible. Just this morning I was ready to throw in the towel and give up. Almost laughing at how ridiculous things had become. Hanging around the bus station in the pouring rain in Denpasar was not helping my situation. And then a rainbow appeared and I followed it.

Yesterday was a MAJOR ballache. I'll post about that later cause I need to get it out. This morning, I was ready to scream. Ready to kill. And I hated every motherfucker in the world. This too shall pass, I thought and that helped for a minute. And then the deep hatred for all things quickly returned. Except for smiling children and a good piece of tempeh.

I caught a taxi with a couple of Italian backpackers. We negotiated the rate to a quite reasonable price and were on our way to Kuta, the home of Australians away from Australia, so I'd heard. It was just good to be away from the bus station and all the dickheads who worked in that area. "Hey Mister!" Fuck you I muttered under my breath. "Where you go?" Suck my dick! Gaaaaaaaaad I was seriously losing it. I had only stayed in the area to go to Imigrasi to extend my visa so I could relax and enjoy my remaining days in Indonesia. But it was turning into a major major pain in the ass.

And now I'm in Kuta. I can't even begin to describe it. It's like TEN Khao San Roads rolled into one. Same same but different. I hate to say that, but it aptly describes the place. Sensory overload in a good way. I've seen more tourists in one afternoon than I've seen in the past month. And that is no exaggeration! There are so many people, so many convenience stores, discotheques, travel agents, atms, guesthouses, motorbikes, people speaking bahasa Inggris. Ahhh!


Usually I think I'd have found that appalling, but today is a different day. I know I'll reach that point of saturation when I have to get the fuck out of here as soon as possible, but I'm going to soak it in right now. And being in a hi-speed, cheap-as-fuck cafe with delicious local cuisine and beer, well, it might take a while for me to want to leave this place. A while, what does that mean? Could be as soon as I couple days, but I feel good now and I don't want to disturb that feeling. I seriously can't even begin to describe it.

Wow! Tyler is positive. I know, I know, but don't worry my next post will relive the previous few days and balance out this unexpected outpouring of positivity. Major sigh. I've got a room overlooking a swimming pool for 11 bucks. I just had a big cold beer for a bit more than 2 and it wasn't from the convenience store. I'm getting the majority of my clothes washed for 5 bucks. And most importantly, I'm getting my visa extended for 65. Just thinking about doing it myself was torture. The taxi rides to Immigration alone and getting all the necessary paperwork in order around the new year was going to cost more and cause acid reflux. It's worth the extra outlay of cash just to avoid the ulcer that was on its way.

The last month has been an experience full of ups and downs. Unfortunately, without counting on my fingers, it seems like there were more downs. I'm doing everything right, I thought, why is all this shit happening to me?? Tired as fuck from 8 hour local bus rides. Tired of being told it's an air-conditioned  VIP bus and then getting a local shit-mobile that stops every 100 meters. Tired of Hello Mister! Tired of these one-night affairs without really getting to know a place and then heading out the next day without having seen anything or forged any relationships. Always on the move to the next place.

That is not my style of traveling and I had forgotten that. Now I just want to slow it down. To not be concerned about seeing everything. Cause I don't want to see everything! I don't appreciate much so that's the worst way for me to travel. I just want to be, not to do. And now that I've realized that, or re-realized that, I hope I can maintain this feeling for a change. Cause it feels good to not be a raging asshole on occasion. There is a lot of noise here, but in a way it's a good noise. I'm alone, but I'm not alone.


2 comments:

  1. Kuta is definitely tourist central, but on a long trip it may be welcomed..be prepared to get out in a few days...and do some surfing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's welcomed at the moment! Had a surfing lesson today - Kuta's beach is the filthiest I've ever been in! Get outta the water with a bag on yer head...nasty. Renting a moto tomorrow to go to Nusa Dua I think.

    ReplyDelete